Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I have OCD

Yes, the rumors are true. I have OCD. Not the kind you read about in psychology textbooks where people interrupt their day because they are compelled to wash their hands 72 times. Not the kind where I can't function. I guess I have functional OCD. i can carry on with my normal activites of daily living just with a few quirks.

I count my laundry. I count items of clothing as I put them in the washer then count backwards as they go from the washer to the dryer then backwards again as I fold then forwards again as I put them away.

I count steps as I go up or down then backwards when going back up or down them.

I can't stand for a drawer or cabinet door to not be completely closed. I've put laundry way and almost closed a drawer all the way, tried to walk away and couldn't do it. They HAVE to be completely closed. Jerry left to go to Keith's one day. I went into the kitchen and found every cabinet door and drawer opened. Funny man :-)

I hate walking in a circle. If I'm at the bed and turn to go to the closet to put something away, I have to turn and go back the same way. If I go in a complete cirlce I have to turn and go the other way to "unwind".

I have a list over every bill we have to pay every month, how much it is and when it's due. Not so bad. But then i also have a page where every bill is listed according to which pay check it comes from. Each bill also has it's own seperate page where the payments are marked off and dated. I look at our accounts online every single day to be sure I don't miss something. I hope when I die, my family appreciates my hard work ;-)

I have a file in my file cabinet labeled "Stuff You'll Need if I Die". One of the things inside is my obituary. yes, I wrote my own obituary. Of course, the family is free to change it if they want, I was just afraid they'd leave something out.

You never really realize how strange you are until you see it in writing :-).

No comments: