Thursday, November 8, 2007

Everything is For Sale.....For a Price

A little story from my previous life as an ER nurse....

I was charge nurse in the ER from 7P to 7A. We had a guy named Doyle that came in allll the freakin' time. Doyle annoyed everyone to no end. Doyle was in the ER on a particularly busy night. We had no beds so we put him in a chair in the hall. I was busy running all over and took a second out to greet a co-worker who was pulling a shift on the ambulance. He gave me a hug then went on his way. For about 1/2 hour after seeing him everytime I'd go into or out of a room or walk into the hallway Doyle would yell out to me "HEY LADY! HEY LADY!!". I responded each time with "Doyle I'm busy, go sit back down the doc will be with you shortly". An older man and his extremely hot son came to me at the desk and inquired about a patient we had seen earlier. Being single at the time I, of course, set out to impress the hot son. I put on my best ER nurse smile and said " follow me out front and I'll find out where she is for you". THey followed me out to the area where the log book was, I found the info they needed and turned to find them both looking at me with huge smiles on their faces. I thought to myself "Man.....I must be making quite an impression!! Bet he thinks I'm hot too". I pointed them in the right direction and they went on their way, the dad whispering to the son. Feeling pretty proud of myself, I trotted to the back and picked up where I left off. On my next trip in to the hall (by now about an hour since I'd greeted my friend) Doyle again called out "HEY LADY". Exasperated from the other end of the hall I yelled "Doyle, I'm busy.....what do you want?". His reply....."I was just wondering why you have a sign on your back that says "For Rent....Cheap"

As my ego slipped to the floor and under the desk, the patients within ear shot giggled, the doc and my co-workers cracked up. I set about trying to find a way to get back at my "friend".
Good times :-)

No comments: