Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The baby arrives!

Yeah, it's been a year now. Time for reflection and remembering. The whole time Britt was pregnant the girls and I spent almost every Sat together (still do). We'd get massages then go shopping. We'd hit every maternity shop and baby clothing dept we could find. We traveled all over for shopping. We had a blast. Then on Sat nights we'd all meet at the house with the whole family for family night. We'd throw steaks or burgers on the grill then play board or card games. Towards the end of Britt's pregnancy she took off work. She and I started going to the mall and walking every day. Trying to get the baby to come on out! We'd walk the mall, walk the track at the park, anything we could do.

On Sept 30th, we had the same plan, went shopping, ate dinner here, played Uno for a while. Since Britt was due Oct 1st, when they left at 9:30 I reminded her she'd go into labor the next day. At 1AM the phone rang. It was Britt. She'd started having pains about 10 and was now ready to go to the hossy. She asked if I wanted to wait at home until they found out something. Apparently she was delirious. There was no way I was missing one second of this!! I ran around the house grabbing camera, video camera, waking everyone up along the way. Grabbed shirts I had made for the kids (Ambers and Davin's each said "No, I'm the best aunt" on the back, Kaylor's said "But I'm the only uncle", even though he's not he's the only one that was there). We jumped in the car and headed the 1/4 mile to Britt's house to find her pacing the floor and Keith leisurely getting dressed. At the hospital, she was dilated 2 cm so they kept her. My friend Diane, was working L&D, thankfully. Britt got some pain meds, hooked up to monitors and we waited.....and waited.....and waited. Lots of folks came in. By the time Maliyah decided to make an appearance everyone and their brother were there. I was getting delerious from lack of sleep. I was starving but didn't want to leave. We sent Davin and Amber out for food and had a picnic in the waiting room....all 15 of us :-) Finally at around 5 or 5:30 Sun afternoon she was fully dilated and ready to push. The nurse, Pam Farley and Dr Christenberry were all great about letting everyone Britt wanted stay in the room. keith was there, of course. Me, Britt's stepmom, Davin, Amber and Britt's best friend, Leigh. At 6 PM Maliyah Rayne decided to show up, ripping and tearing her way out at a wiggly 7 pounds 6 ounces and 21 inches long.

In the last year she's grow up sooo much. She has a wonderful personality. She loves people, loves to wave and throw kisses. She's been walking a while now. Keeps me on my toes for sure :-) We have a chihuahua and a Westie. She loves the dogs and is very gentle with them. She loves the Wiggles, Barney and Baby Einstein. She's a very good eater (finally!!). Still doesn't talk much, Momma, Dada, Look, Dog. That's about it. She has her daddy and her pop wrapped around her little finger. She's so amazing and full of wonder and curiosity. I never thought I could love a child as much as I loved my babies but guess what.....I do :-)

I love you Maliyah!
XOXO

No comments: